Media Communication Business Meeting Minutes - April 24, 2009
Eastern Communication Association Media Communication Interest Group Minutes
April 24, 2009
Thirteen people attended the meeting at 8:00 am on Friday April 24, 2009 in the Sheraton Society Hill.
- Maria noted that 31 papers and 9 panels were submitted for 2009, and 26 papers and 3 panels were accepted.
- Cary reported that 707 people pre-registered in 2009, all short courses ‘made,' the hotel sold out, and the finances of the organization are in good health with a net of $40,000 this year.
- Media is the 3rd largest interest group with 146 members.
- Lisa was elected Secretary.
- Monica and Gordon solicited volunteers for reviewing, responding, and chairing for next year. Gordon provided information about next year's theme "Charting a Course: Meeting New Horizons."
- He asked that we think about the future vision of our group and that we consider panels to address the theme.
- Cindy proposed a short course (2 hours long) on New Media for 2010. She noted that about 26% of ECA journal content is media related and suggested that we have a stronger presence in other areas such as short courses.
- Folks noted that the short courses don't affect the number of panels a group can have and also that if you co-sponsor panels you can get more panels.
- There was a suggestion to co-sponsor with the Community and Technology division.
- Cindy expressed concerns about media/technology funding for presentations and noted that there is a potential to borrow technology from local colleges for the next two years' conferences.
- President Elect Select Cindy noted that 2011 will be in Arlington, Virginia from April 13th-17th for $140/night.
Cary summarized some of the major discussions from the executive council meeting
- An ethics code was proposed for ECA and circulated at our meeting.
- The awards committee addressed a proposal to broaden the composition of the awards committee to 5-7 people.
- There will be a survey about the mentoring committee.
- Bylaws will be changed to allow council to be able to grant life memberships (particularly to past presidents).
- ECA archives are housed at Ball State.
- EBSCO contract was extended into 2013.
- A moratorium on affiliations was enacted after Business Communication was added.
- Cindy suggested expanding the multi-college listserv. Monica noted that she will add all of the reviewer/chair/respondent email addresses to the listserv.
- Gordon suggested we add a Facebook page and look into Twittering and all agreed.
- Gordon asked for additional suggestions about posting the CFP and all agreed that the current outlets are fine.
- Gordon noted that we need to submit columns for the ECA newsletter.
- Cindy asked for suggestions for a 2011 theme that embraced inclusivity. Rudy mentioned R.I.T's yearly undergrad conference CURC the week or two before ECA.
The meeting concluded around 8:45 am.