ECA 110th Convention - Communication Administration Interest Group Call for Papers
Call for Papers
Communication Administration Interest Group
110th Eastern Communication Association Convention
Creating Our Future
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2018
The 110th Annual ECA Convention will be held in Providence, RI at the Omni Providence Hotel from April 10th-14th, 2019.
To honor the founding principles of Providence and the creative identity of Providence, the 110th Annual ECA Conference focuses on the idea of “Creating Our Future” through the management of resources emanating from our research and scholarly activities to transform lives, communities, and organizations. Our presence in Providence invites us to consider how the tensions of creating our future emerge in our discipline.
The purpose of the Communication Administration interest group is to provide a forum for communication administrators to identify, explore, and extend the administration of communication programs and to serve as a resource for communication administrators through conference programs and workshops. This interest group promotes discussion, study, criticism, research, and the application of principles of education administration for the communication disciplines.
The Convention theme signals several important questions for communication administrators/department chairs that include the following:
- How do communication administrators/department chairs interpret their responsibility for creating the future of their programs and the discipline?
- What are the challenges and opportunities that emerge as communication administrators/department chairs articulate a vison of the future for their departments, programs, and the discipline?
- What resources do communication administrators/department chairs create and how can those resources create new possibilities for others?
- How do communication administrators/department chairs use their resources to create opportunities for excellence in scholarship, teaching, and service?
- How do communication administrators/department chairs contribute to the “The Creative Capital of the Communication Discipline?”
- How do communication administrators/department chairs use research and scholarly activities to inform their strategic planning and problem-solving efforts?
With these questions to consider, this Call for Papers welcomes completed papers and panel sessions that encourage public consideration of communication administration or debate the merit and direction of communication administration research and practice.
The convention features panels, round tables, short courses, and programming on the convention theme. In addition, the Ninth Annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the ECA convention. USC papers are due on December 17, 2019, to enable scholarly student papers from the fall semester to be submitted.
ECA will now be using Attendee Interactive to manage submissions and reviews. This is the same system used by the National Communication Association so you may be familiar with it. The deadline for submissions remains the same, October 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM. You will be prompted to create a new User ID and Password to submit your work. An email will be sent to the membership in the next couple of months to announce when Attendee Interactive will be open for submission. Additional information, including a link to the submission page, will be sent to ECA members on the day the submission website opens.
The Interest Group invites two types of submission and the specific requirements for each type follows.
Submission Guidelines for Completed Papers
Papers should be written in accordance with the University of Chicago Manual of Style or APA 6th edition (whichever is appropriate). The following fields will be completed for individual submissions:
- Description (aka. Abstract) including the Professional Responsibility Statement.
- Student Paper
- Debut Submission
- Special requests
- Audio Visual Form
- Upload final paper or additional documents (file types accepted: Word or PDF).
Submission Guidelines for Panel/Program Proposals
Please submit panel/program proposals is one MS Word file (.doc or .docx). Proposals should be written according to the University of Chicago Manual of Style or APA 6th edition (whichever is appropriate). Include the following items in all panel/program submissions:
- Thematic Title
- Participants (Names & Affiliations) including chair and respondent.
- Estimated Attendance
- Special requests
- Audio Visual Form
- Upload supporting documents that include titles and abstract for each paper or presentation, program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program, and Statement of Professionalism (see below).
Include the following statement with submissions.
In submitting the attached paper/panel, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper/panel if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
* Special scheduling requests due to religious or cultural needs should be noted when submitting papers and proposals.