ECA 2021 Convention - Philosophy of Communication Interest Group Call for Submissions
Call for Papers
Philosophy of Communication Division
112th Eastern Communication Association Convention
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2020 11:59 P.M. (PST)
ALL Submissions must be uploaded through Attendee Interactive:
The Eastern Communication Association will hold their 112th Annual Convention in Cambridge, Massachusetts from Wednesday, March 24 through Sunday, March 28, 2021. “Resilience” stands as the convention theme, and the deadline for submissions is October 15, 2020 11:59 P.M. (PST).
The Philosophy of Communication Interest Group seeks individual paper, panel, and roundtable submissions centered on the convention theme of “Resilience.” This convention theme asks participants to consider how the communication discipline—through teaching, research, civic engagement, and professional/personal development—can foster resilience in a historical moment beset by “wicked problems,” problems which seem unmanageable and intractable.
The convention theme states, “Despite the challenges we face in our classrooms, on our campuses, and in the world, we have a choice to preserve what is available and find opportunities for growth.” When surrounded by the challenges found within the historical moment, resilience operates as a response to those challenges. Toward this end, the Philosophy of Communication Interest Group welcomes completed papers and panel submissions which focus on themes rooted in philosophy of communication that also intersect with the conference theme “Resilience.” Some guiding questions may include, but are not limited to: How can philosophies of communication elucidate the problems and challenges which necessitate resilience? How can philosophies of communication facilitate and foster resilience in response to these problems and challenges? How can philosophies of communication help us to practice resilience without falling back to notions of romantic and rugged individualism? How can philosophies of communication “preserve what is available and find opportunities for growth”?
The Philosophy of Communication Interest Group utilizes Attendee Interactive to manage all submissions. Please upload your submissions at the following link:
NOTE: The 2021 ECA Convention will be built based on a new call for papers and a completely new submission process. THEREFORE, everyone is free to submit their work previously accepted for ECA2020 elsewhere.
You may only submit a single paper to one interest group or affiliate organization for consideration.
Submission of Completed Papers: Individual submissions of completed papers will provide the following through Attendee Interactive:
2. Author(s): If the paper has multiple authors, submitter should indicate who will be presenting at the convention.
3. Abstract (5,000 character max)
4. Special Requests
-Debut Paper: Papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional
or national convention.
6. Requests for Audio-Visual Equipment: Internet Access, Laptop Audio, LCD Projector
7. Upload of your Completed Paper:
-Paper must have no identifying author, school, faculty, or contact information
-Abstract (one page max with Statement of Professional Responsibility below)
-The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not previously presented at a regional or national convention.
-Required File Format: MS Word Document or PDF
-Consistent Formatting: APA, MLA, or Chicago Style
-Double-Spaced, 12 Point Times New Roman Font
8. A statement of professional responsibility
Submission of Program/Panel Proposals: Submission of program/panel proposals should include the following elements submitted through Attendee Interactive:
1. A thematic title for the program.
2. Names of the chair and respondents (if any). Chairs should not also be designated as respondents.
3. Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
4. Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
5. A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
7. A statement of professional responsibility.
Submission of Roundtable: Submission of Roundtable proposals should include the following elements submitted through Attendee Interactive:
1. Roundtable Title
2. Name of the chair
3. Participants (Featured Experts): Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
4. Description: A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
5. Rationale for Roundtable (10,000 Character max)
6. Target Audience (10,000 Character max)
7. Requests for Audio-Visual Equipment: Internet Access, Laptop Audio, LCD Projector
8. Special Requests
9. Supporting Document(s): Purpose of the roundtable (program copy), agenda for roundtable, and invitation for audience participation.
10. A statement of professional responsibility.
Include the following Statement of Professional Responsibility with submissions:
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted or programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
The following statement MUST be included with every submission of a paper or panel in order for it to be eligible for review.
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2020 11:59 P.M. (PST)
Convention Acceptance Notifications: January, 2021
For additional information about the upcoming convention, please visit ECA’s website http://www.ecasite.org/. All questions or concerns related to the Philosophy of Communication Interest Group can be directed to:
West Liberty University