ECA Applied Communication IG ... Call for Papers | Women & Language
Call for Papers | Women & Language
Editor: Leland G. Spencer, PhD | Miami University
Women & Language, an international, interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal publishes original scholarly articles and creative work covering all aspects of communication, language, and gender. Contributions to Women & Language may be empirical, rhetorical-critical, interpretive, theoretical, or artistic. All appropriate research methodologies are welcome.
Affiliated with the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language, and Gender, the journal espouses an explicitly feminist positionality, though articles need not necessarily engage or advance feminist theory to be appropriate fits for the journal, and articles that critically examine feminisms are welcome. Other potential topics include but are not limited to studies of human communication in dyads, families, groups, organizations, and social movements; analyses of public address, media texts, literature, activism, and other cultural phenomena; the role of gender in verbal and nonverbal communication, intercultural exchanges, listening, relationship building, and public advocacy; linguistic analysis; and many others. The journal operates from a nuanced and expansive understanding of gender, so contributions about sexuality, gender identity, and the complexity and limitations of gender as a concept are especially appropriate. Contributions that center intersectional perspectives are particularly encouraged, as are those that explore gender and language from non-Western or global perspectives. Articles published in Women & Language need not come from a communication perspective but should reflect thoughtful engagement with language and/or communication processes or theory.
Submissions are welcome from scholars, students, activists, and practitioners at any stage of their careers. All submissions undergo rigorous peer review in a mentorship-centered process committed to developing excellent scholarship.
To submit, email Leland G. Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All submissions to Women & Language should be electronically submitted in a Word file.
- Articles should be prepared in standard American written English.
- Preferred length for scholarly research and theory manuscripts is 6,000-10,000 words including endnotes and references; a 150-word abstract and 4-5 keywords should accompany submissions. Creative submissions may be shorter.
- Preferred font is Times New Roman; following these guidelines will help in the retention of formatting.
- Any accompanying graphic needs to be at least 500kb file size with a resolution of at least 150 pixels per inch. Authors are responsible for securing permission to reprint images, lengthy quotations, and other copyrighted material.
- Prepare materials with no author identification on the manuscript itself, including in the Word metadata; otherwise, submissions should adhere to the seventh edition of the American Psychological Association (APA) Publication Manual. Please note that APA style requires DOI numbers for all digital references.
- Articles submitted to Women & Language should be original, not previously published, and not under review for publication elsewhere.
- Articles for general issues are accepted on a rolling basis, with initial decisions typically issued in about 3 months.