ECA 2022 Convention - Great Ideas for Teaching Students (G.I.F.T.S.) Call for Papers
Call for Papers: (Re)union
Eastern Communication Association 113th Annual Convention
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Dates: April 7 to 9, 2022
G.I.F.T.S. (Great Ideas for Teaching Students)
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2021 11:59PM ET
The theme of (Re)union provides us with an opportunity to highlight the Great Ideas for Teaching Students (G.I.F.T.S.) that have emerged from challenging circumstances while welcoming an opportunity to reunite faculty and students in the physical learning environment. Pam Lannutti, First Vice President, notes that ECA 2022 offers us a space for “joyous reconnection” as well as the opportunity to create new connections. Additionally, ECA 2022 will provide a space for “reflection, deliberation, and learning as we emerge from the global pandemic and consider how we, as communication educators and scholars, will contribute to a post-pandemic world.”
There is much to be explored within the realm of (re)union and teaching. As such, please consider submitting a G.I.F.T.S. that center on (re)union as a means of contributing to a post-pandemic future. Topics could center on fostering or reigniting interpersonal relationships, inspiring interactions, analyzing information, and encouraging ethical behaviors. G.I.F.T.S. might edify learners to build new unions in our discipline, on our campuses, in our communities, within our families, and throughout all our cultural interactions.
As you consider your submission, please note that G.I.F.T.S.:
- Should be authentic and unique activities, games, or simulations geared toward entry-level, undergraduate courses that you have successfully used in your course(s).
- Should be able to be completed in one class session or less.
- Should connect to a specific communication skill, concept, and/or theory.
Please use the G.I.F.T.S. template here to format your submission.
A formal, one- to two-page written submission using the template as a guide must include the following:
- Title (relevant, engaging, and informative)
- Course name
- Learning objective(s)
- Directions including a clear and concise description of:
- any needed materials,
- any needed preparation steps, and
- step-by-step directions during the activity.
- Connection to a specific communication skill, concept, and/or theory
- Activity debrief
- Typical results
- Relevant references
- Technology request (if applicable)
- Statement of professional responsibility (see below)
Again, please use the G.I.F.T.S. template (hyperlinked above) to format your submission.
All submissions must include the Statement of Professional Responsibility:
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
SUBMISSION DIRECTIONS USING ATTENDEE INTERACTIVE
- Go to ecasite.org and click on Convention and then Attendee Interactive
- Select GIFTS as the interest group.
- Enter your GIFTS title and select competitive paper. Click save.
- Select the Author(s) tab and select Yes to indicate you are the author. Add any co-authors if needed. Click save.
- Click the Abstract tab and enter a one- or two-sentence description of your GIFTS. Click save.
- Select the Categories tab and check the appropriate debut/non debut & student/non-student options. Click save.
- Select the Additional Information tab and indicate if you need A/V or Special Requests. Click save.
- Select the Documents tab and upload your GIFTS following the submission requirements in a PDF or WORD file. Remove identifying information from this document. Click save.
- Click the Preview tab to double check your submission.
- Click the finalize tab and check the box next to the professional responsibility statement.
- Click the finalize button to complete the submission.
Submission website: https://ww4.aievolution.com/eca2201/
G.I.F.T.S. Planner, ECA 2022
Queensborough Community College-CUNY