ECA 2023 ... Applied Communication Interest Group Call for Submissions
Call for Papers
Applied Communication Interest Group
Eastern Communication Association Annual Convention
Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
March 29-April 2, 2023
Submission Deadline: October 16, 2022 at 11:59pm (EST)
The Applied Communication Interest Group is seeking paper and panel submissions for presentation at the 2023 annual meeting of the Eastern Communication Association. In keeping with the convention theme and Convention Program Planner Jennifer Waldeck’s vision for this year’s convention, let these questions guide your paper and panel submissions:
- In what ways is our field at the forefront of studying the powerful relationships among communication and our relationships, organizations, communities, and the environment?
- What innovative theories, questions, methods, data analysis techniques, and practices are emerging from our field?
- What opportunities exist for us to innovate with our research, service, pedagogy, and practice?
- How are you responding to your environment to ensure that your work and our field are addressing the practical communication concerns of today and tomorrow?
This interest group invites submissions of papers, panels, and roundtable/program proposals that focus on how communication theory, research, and practice contribute to addressing pragmatic, social issues to harbor a better future. The Applied Communication Interest Group is committed to help the general public solve socially relevant problems and to test the usefulness of communication theory in "real-world" settings. Research should highlight the connection between theory and practice by demonstrating theoretical applications and the usefulness for potential users to understand and implement recommendations will be accepted.
All submissions should be uploaded and processed through Attendee Interactive.
Submission website: https://ww4.aievolution.com/eca2301/
Submission Guidelines for Completed Papers
Papers should be written in accordance with APA 7th edition. The following fields will be completed for individual submissions:
- A detached title page with the title of the paper and the author's affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at aregional or national conference.
- A one-page abstract on the second page.
- A statement of professional responsibility on the second page.
If the paper has multiple authors, the submitter should indicate who will be presenting at the convention.
Submission Guidelines for Panel/Program Proposals
Proposals should be written according to APA 7th edition. Include the following items in all panel/program submissions:
- A thematic title for the panel.
- Names of the chair and respondents (if any).
- Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all panelists.
- Titles and abstracts for each paper. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words.
- A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final ECA 2023 program.
- A detailed rationale for the program/panel. Rationales should not exceed 1000 words.
- A statement of professional responsibility.
Statement of Professional Responsibility
The following statement MUST be included with every submission of a paper or panel in order to be eligible for review:
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that an accepted paper, panel, or poster is considered a professional responsibility. If this submission is accepted and programmed, I/We agree to register for the ECA convention, pay fees, and present the work. I/We understand that presenters with last minute emergencies should take all possible measures to arrange an alternate presenter, and communicate their plans to both the Interest Group Planner and ECA VP.
Convention Acceptance Notifications: January 2023.
For additional information about the upcoming convention, please visit ECA’s website: http://www.comm.org/
All questions or concerns related to the Applied Communication Interest Group can be directed to
Dr. Jordan Atkinson (University of Kansas) at firstname.lastname@example.org